Washington – US President Joe Biden announced that the US drone strike killed al-Qaeda Chief Ayman al-Zawahiri. Biden had claimed that there is no possible threat to the world now from Zawahiri. But Christopher Wray, the Director of the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), has warned that al-Qaeda will launch a massive attack on the US after Zawahiri’s assassination. The FBI Chief explained in a hearing in front of the Senate that this terrorist organisation, like al-Qaeda, can launch fierce attacks in the United States.
Last Sunday, the US Reaper drone attacked the Sherpur area of Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan. President Biden had announced that Zawahiri was killed in the attack carried out by a Hellfire missile. Moreover, Biden had claimed that the death of Zawahiri, who succeeded Osama bin Laden as the leader of al-Qaeda, had dealt a severe blow to the terrorist organisation. The ruling party Democrats of the US had welcomed the action against Zawahiri. But US security agencies have given different information about this.
Moreover, FBI Director Christopher Wray has said in a Senate inquiry that al-Qaeda could still carry out or provoke attacks in the United States even after Zawahiri’s death. Wray warned that the death of Zawahiri would cause al-Qaeda to try to expand its influence internationally for some time or would carry out smaller attacks in East and West African countries. Simultaneously, the FBI Chief targeted the hasty withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan by the Biden administration last year.
Due to the withdrawal of troops in Afghanistan, Wray said the network of the US confidential information providers had been destroyed. Thus, there are great difficulties in obtaining confidential information from Afghanistan, admitted the FBI Chief. At the same time, Wray claimed that al-Qaeda and IS terrorist organisations will re-erect in Afghanistan as US troops have not been deployed. Wray warned that these terrorists would be urged to attack the US if this happened. The FBI Chief expressed the possibility that a Lone Wolf or a lone terrorist in the US can carry out such attacks.
Meanwhile, the US Inquiry Committee also raised questions regarding the influx of Afghan refugees who entered the US with the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan last year. Last year, more than 80,000 Afghans were brought to the US without any security checks. The US Department of Defense investigation had unveiled at least 50 of these Afghans as a threat to US security. Besides, it was claimed that 324 Afghanis were on the watch list of the US Department of Defense.
Click below to express your thoughts and views on this news: