Breaking News

Over 50 soldiers killed in Armenia-Azerbaijan clashes 

Yerevan/Baku: More than 50 soldiers were killed in the recent fighting that broke out between Central Asian nations of Armenia and Azerbaijan while thousands are claimed wounded. Armenian Prime Minister Nikola Pashiyan has alleged the conflict was an attack on the country’s freedom and sovereignty, and warned that his people were ready for war. On the other side, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev has asserted that his military was fighting to protect their motherland and that victory would certainly be theirs. Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump has shown willingness to mediate between the two countries to end the violence. However, Turkey issued a warning to Amenia claiming failure in the international effort.   

A fierce battle erupted between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the contested region of Nagorno-Karabakh on Sunday morning. Both nations have amassed troops in the area and have asserted they will continue fighting until the war is won. The fighting continues for the second day with invasive attacks from both sides and claims of opponents having suffered heavy casualties. Armenia has said it destroyed 43 tanks, 27 drones and four helicopters of Azerbaijan. Further, the country alleged it had killed several of Azerbaijan’s soldiers as it also informed of losing 30 of its soldiers. On the other hand, Azerbaijan has alleged destroying 22 tanks, 18 drones and 15 air defence systems of Armenia.  

Over 20 civilians have lost their lives in the attacks from both sides, and thousands are believed injured. Sources said the clashes have forced thousands of citizens from their homes in Nagorno-Karabakh. Most countries have called on Armenia and Azerbaijan to end the violence, including the US, Russia and Europe. Nevertheless, after offering support to Azerbaijan, Turkey adopted an aggressive stance and has started threatening Armenia.  

Turkish President Recep Erdogan issued a threat as he said that ‘The international efforts at negotiations to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh dispute have completely fallen through. It is time for a permanent outcome for the dilemma that arose after the invasion of the region’. Reports suggested Turkey has provided significant military assistance to Azerbaijan while videos of Syrian militia units arriving in the country have also surfaced. Only last month, Turkey also conducted a massive exercise with Azerbaijan. Turkey is therefore believed of being responsible for this new conflict. Meanwhile, the US has shown willingness to mediate for a resolution to the Armenia-Azerbaijan war.  

Previously, the war between the two countries fought between 1991 to 1994 had seen the deaths of 30,000 people. In 2016, over 200 people lost their lives in the clashes. Despite mediating between Armenia and Azerbaijan in both wars, Russia was unsuccessful in reaching an agreement for a ceasefire. 

हिंदी  मराठी

Click below to express your thoughts and views on this news:

https://twitter.com/WW3Info
https://www.facebook.com/WW3Info