Breaking News

Afghan military bases ambushed after Taliban threatens to attack

Kabul: Taliban had issued a threat to the US, saying that “The United States has violated the deal signed with them by keeping the military deployed in Afghanistan beyond the agreed deadline. The US incursion will receive retaliation. Within hours of the threat, two military bases in Afghanistan came under attack. The US stated that the Taliban had taken control of the military base in Ghazni, although no significant damage was caused at the airbase in the Kandahar province. On the other hand, the Afghan military said they had killed 81 Taliban terrorists in the last 24 hours.  

As announced by US President Joe Biden, the withdrawal of US and NATO forces started on Saturday. Yet, the Taliban has accused the United States of violating the agreement signed at Doha last year. Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, threatened in the statement issued Saturday that the Taliban leadership will decide on further retaliation. ‘We will soon initiate action for Afghanistan’s sovereignty, values and interests,’ Mujahid said. 

Within just a few hours, the Taliban launched an attack on the military base in Ghazni. The base was under the control of the Afghan military. However, the Taliban took control of the base by attacking it on Saturday night. The attack is said to have claimed the lives of Afghan soldiers. The Taliban has taken some soldiers hostage as well. Apart from that, attacks were launched on the airbase in Kandahar on Sunday afternoon. 

As per US military spokesman in Afghanistan Col. Sonny Leggett, terrorists launched rocket attacks on the Kandahar airbase, but it did not suffer any damage in the attack. The US military officials have refrained from accusing the Taliban of launching the attacks. The Taliban has also not accepted responsibility for striking the US-controlled airbase. Nevertheless, if the Taliban resorted to violence after the US military withdrawal, it will be considered an act of foolishness, and the Afghan people will be quite resentful, Colonel Legette warned.  

Meanwhile, the Afghan military has maintained its swift action against the Taliban, even as the US and NATO forces withdraw from Afghanistan. In the last 24 hours, the Afghan military action claimed the lives of 81 Taliban terrorists, and 51 were injured. The Afghan military carried out the operation in Kunar, GhazniBadghis, Balkh, Kandahar, Helmand, Faryab and Takhar provinces. Also, IEDs seized from the Taliban terrorists were destroyed. Moreover, the United States expressed confidence in the Afghan military, saying it is ready to defend its nation.  

The US military officials have warned that the Taliban and Al-Qaeda will take control of Afghanistan after the complete withdrawal of the US troops. Even former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice criticised the US military withdrawal from Afghanistan and said redeployment of the US military in Afghanistan might be required. 

हिंदी मराठी

Click below to express your thoughts and views on this news:

https://twitter.com/WW3Info
https://www.facebook.com/WW3Info