New York/Tehran: Iran’s Natanz nuclear plant was detonated by remote control. Leading US news outlet ‘The New York Times’ made a sensational claim that stated Behrouz Kamalvandi, a Spokesman for Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI), was injured in the blast and had to be hospitalized. Although the report was not confirmed, photographs and videos of injured Kamalvandi have been released. The daily said that the incident was the most significant security breach at Iran’s Natanz nuclear plant. Israeli media has also reported information from the US daily.
There was a blackout at Iran’s Natanz nuclear plant on Sunday morning. On Monday, Iran blamed Israel for the Natanz blast, which it had initially claimed was an accident. Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif has threatened to seek revenge against Israel, saying the attack on the plant was an act of nuclear terrorism. The US news outlet claimed that it has set back Iran’s nuclear program by nine months. Although Iran has denied the allegations, it has not released any details about the attack.
The US daily reported on Tuesday, however, that the blast at the Natanz nuclear plant had been caused with the help of remote control. The news outlet had made the claim, citing an intelligence agency official. The blast destroyed primary and backup electrical systems at the nuclear facility. Behrouz Kamalvandi, a spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI), was also injured in the blast. Kamalvandi’s head, back, arms and legs were injured, and a local journalist has even released a video of him in this state.
In this video, Kamalvandi informs about the intensity of the blast. “I fell into a seven-metre-deep hole, created by the blast at the Natanz plant, but survived as I was wearing a helmet,” Kamalvandi said. The New York Times said the incident casts doubt on the capabilities of Iran’s security agency.
After talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Tuesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Zarif accused Israel, saying it made a terrible gamble by sabotaging the Natanz plant. Earlier, Iran vowed to take revenge against Israel.
Israel has refrained from commenting on the incident. Nevertheless, former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert made a big claim while speaking to a local news agency on Tuesday. Olmert made a statement that caused a sensation. “Someone didn’t infiltrate into the facility overnight to make it happen. The explosives may have been planted there 10 to 15 years ago,” he said.
Earlier, Israel launched a cyberattack on the Natanz nuclear plant. Also, reports revealed Yossi Cohen, head of Israel’s intelligence agency, stole critical information from Iran by infiltrating its nuclear facility. Israel also killed Iran’s nuclear scientist Fakhrizadeh. Now, the former Israeli prime minister has added to the mystery by saying that the explosion at Natanz’s nuclear plant may have been planned 10 to 15 years ago.