Aden / Riyadh – The Saudi-led coalition launched a series of strong airstrikes on Yemeni rebels, which carried out drone attacks targeting the airport in the UAE’s capital, Abu Dhabi. The attack killed fourteen people. The UAE has said it reserves the right to respond to these terrorist attacks. At the same time, Houthi rebels, who had been removed from the terror-list by the US, should be re-designated, demanded the UAE’s Foreign Minister.
On Monday morning, Houthi rebels in Yemen carried out about 20 drone strikes near the international airport and an oil farm in the UAE capital, Abu Dhabi. Moreover, Iranian media has claimed that the Houthis used ten ballistic missiles for the attack, which could not be confirmed. Three people, including two Indians, were killed in the attack.
The royal family of the UAE resides in the capital Abu Dhabi. Besides, the buildings of government establishments are also in Abu Dhabi. Therefore, it was claimed that the Houthi rebels issued a warning to the UAE through this attack on Abu Dhabi. Zeifollah al-Shami, the chief of the department of information of the Houthi rebels, openly threatened the UAE while speaking to an Iranian news agency.
The attack by the Yemeni armed forces against the UAE was part of a legal and legitimate response that was carried out in retaliation to the escalation of the war by the UAE and its continuous military actions against the people of Yemen. If they continue to carry out attacks against Yemen and keep killings its people, there will be retaliation,’ threatened the Houthi leader. Just hours after this, the military alliance of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and the Arab allies carried out an operation on the Houthi locations in Yemen.
In the early hours of Tuesday, Saudi Arabia-led Arabian countries’ fighter jets pounded Houthi locations in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a. The UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Sudan, Morocco, Senegal were the countries that had joined the Saudi-led military alliance fighting the Houthi rebels in Yemen since 2015. Qatar walked out from the alliance four years ago following political tensions with Saudi Arabia. While Sudan, Egypt and Morocco have joined the military operation. UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs has warned that the cowardly terrorist attacks on Abu Dhabi are unprecedented and represent a serious escalation and threat to Arab and regional security. The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs has called on the international community ‘to join the firm and unequivocal condemnation of these terrorist attacks, which were launched in complete disregard of international law.’ While the UAE reserves the right to respond to these terrorist attacks launched by Houthi rebels, UAE Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan has said.
Simultaneously, Nahyan also demanded that the Biden administration, which last year removed Houthis from the US Foreign Terrorist Organization’s (FTOs) list, re-designate the terrorist organization in the list. The UAE Foreign Minister made this demand during the discussion with the US Secretary of State Antony Blinken. US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan has condemned the attack on the UAE.
Meanwhile, Indian Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar held discussions with the Foreign Minister of the UAE. MEA Jaishankar assured that India stands in solidarity with the UAE.